Ride through Ajo in November!
Heading south on Highway 85 from Gila Bend, the small town of Ajo, AZ is a frequent stop to gas up and grab a bite before making the final trek to the border. This year, it’s also the first stop on the “Sanborns Over the Border Mystery Poker Run” for the 15th Anniversary Rocky Point Rally when coming down AZ85. Ajo businesses, artists, food vendors, and even bike & car fanatics are getting into the action for this year so in addition to picking up your Poker Run Card next month, there will be a Car Show / Arts & Food Fair Nov. 11th and 12th right next to the Poker Run stop at the Chevron when entering town (from the north)!
Do it in Ajo car show, live music, food & vendors – Nov 11 & 12
Rocky Point Rally “Sanborns Over the Border Myster Poker Run” – Nov 11th, 12th & 13th *Poker Run cards available at the “Do it in Ajo” event on the 11th & 12th and @ Chevron / Sanborns office on the 13th * [Poker Run $10 US donation to charity organizations in Rocky Point – paid when turning in cards @ Playa Bonita on Fri. Nov. 13th]
- Ajo is just under two hours from the US/Mexico border – with the border closed from midnight to 6 a.m., Ajo offers hotel options for folk riding long distances but who want to get an early start into Mexico the next day
- Stops for grub. Along with a Pizza Hut, frequent favorites are Marcela’s on the main drag, the Café Oasis in the quaint plaza next to the Post Office – with lots of parking – don’t forget fresh sandwiches at the Chevron, not to mention the 100 Estrella next to the bank (just past the plaza) with some of the best burgers in the desert. For the ride down, check out the food vendors at the “Do It In Ajo” event, and for the ride back Ajo’s a good spot to stop, stretch, gas up and grab grub.
- Thinking about taking some time off the bike to kick it back on the beach with a book? Be sure to check out the Ajo Copper News bookshop – and frickin’ awesome mural by the way – just to the left before entering the plaza.
- Watch speed limits! Yeah, this is a frequent comment as we’ll just say the police are actively aware of everyone making their way through town.
- Just South of Ajo is Why – and the intersection with AZ86 from Tucson – before heading South through the Organ Pipe National Monument and on to Lukeville (2nd Poker Run stop @ UETA Duty Free)
- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is between Ajo and the border on AZ85, a good spot for desert views and info about the region Kris Eggle Visitor Center: The Kris Eggle Visitor Center is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.